I have been working on this story cycle / mosaic novel for two years I think. I’ve been struggling with finishing it but I’ve had a bit of a breakthrough in the past couple of days and it may be that I am staring at a (very rough) working draft. I have the feeling it requires one more story, though. The total word count is currently 76,000, which is actually longer than Osama.
This post is really more for my own benefit, to see where I am with it and what happened to the individual stories that make up the overall mosaic.
And so, in chronological order (and not order of appearance), here is the complete (so far) list:
- “The Indignity of Rain”, Interzone, 2012
- “Under the Eaves”, Robots: The Recent A.I., 2012 (Dozois’ Year’s Best, Horton’s Year’s Best)
- “Robotnik”, Dark Faith II, 2012
- The Smell of Orange Groves, Clarkesworld, 2011 (Dozois’ Year’s Best, Strahan’s Year’s Best, Polish translation)
- “Crabapple”, forthcoming Daily Science Fiction, 2013
- The Lord of Discarded Things, Strange Horizons, 2012
- “Filaments”. Unpublished
- Strigoi. Interzone, 2012
- “The Book Seller”. Interzone, 2013
- “The God Artist”. Unpublished
- “Vladimir Chong Chooses to Die”. Unpublished
- “The Oracle”. Forthcoming Analog, 2013
- “The Core”. Unpublished
- “The Birthing Clinics”, unpublished
There is also a very brief prelude that may or may not go in to the final version. I don’t think this is quite there yet, but it’s a big leap towards completion. It’s been a long and sometimes frustrating process, began in Israel, finishing in London, and published in book form who knows when or where… but for all that, a project that has meant a lot to me.