I will be at the Singapore Writers Festival on the 4-5 November, where I’ll be participating in the following events:
Saturday, 4th November
Many readers use the first page of a book to gauge whether it’s worth continuing the read. How conscious are writers of this readerly habit, and what do they have to consider when crafting the start of their manuscript?
- w/ Darryl Whetter, Kirstin Chen, moderated by Kristina Tom
- 11:30-12:30, The Arts House, Blue Room (book here)
Don’t Shoot The Messenger
Where to draw the line between ‘message fiction’ and fiction with a message? Lavie Tidhar, Julian Gough and Dipika Mukherjee analyse the differences between the genres, and the pros and cons of each.
- w/ Julian Gough, Dipika Mukherjee, moderated by Barrie Sherwood
- 15:00-16:00, National Gallery Singapore, Ngee Ann Kongsi Auditorium (book here)
Sunday, 5th November
A Los Angeles governed by martial law. An alternate world without global terrorism. A China on the ascendency as the West stagnates. Join three writers who, through their alternative histories, challenge readers to contemplate the potential futures our actions and choices can lead to.
This session is part of the Speculative Fiction focus.
- w/ Marie Lu, Chan Koon Chung, moderated by Khoo Sim Eng
- 20:30-21:30, The Arts House, Blue Room (book here)