Another year coming to an end…
The Violent Century came out in the US in paperback. This edition has a new cover from Sarah Anne Langton and an introduction from Cory Doctorow.
No new books otherwise this year, but only because 2020 is shaping up to be… busy.
Candy came out in Italy (as “The City Without Chocolate”, published by Mondadori) and Poland (published by Zysk).
Central Station came out in China (as “Central Star Station”, published by Citic).
A Man Lies Dreaming was published in Japan (by Takeshobo).
Also published in Japan was an original mini-collection Venus in Bloom, in a dual-language edition, collecting several of my recent SF stories. It is illustrated by Masato Hisa and available from Hal-Con Books.
It’s been a strange year – I’ve been nominated for eleven awards and lost ten in a row. So it goes!
Unholy Land was nominated for the Campbell, Locus, Sidewise, Kitschies and Dragon Awards.
Central Station was nominated for the Kurd Laßwitz Award (Germany), Premio Italia (Italy), and the Premio Kelvin 505 (Spain).
A Man Lies Dreaming was nominated for the Geffen Prize (Israel).
Candy was nominated for the Fantastic Book Awards in the UK.
And, rather to my surprise, my short story “Bag Man” was nominated for the CWA Dagger Award for best crime fiction. I did get to go to the glitzy ceremony, and it was fun!
Quite a few this year! Including a novella, some crime fiction and an interactive fiction piece.
SF & Weird:
- Venus in Bloom, in Clarkesworld Magazine
- “Neom”, in Asimov’s Science Fiction Magazine
- Dem Bones, in Strange Horizons
- The Great Train Robbery, in Apex
- In Xanadu, in Tor.com
- “New Atlantis”, in The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction
- “Svalbard” is an interactive fiction / puzzle adventure, available exclusively on PuzzleTales, the brain child of Jeff Olefsky. This was a lot of fun to do! You can read the story several different ways, but must unlock fiendishly difficult puzzles designed by Jeff in order to keep reading!
- “The Temple’s Coin”, in The Book of Extraordinary Historical Mystery Stories, edited by Maxim Jakubowski
- “Bag Man”, in The Outcast Hours, edited by Mahvesh Murad and Jared Shurin
- “The Bell”, in Invisible Blood, edited by Maxim Jakubowski
- “A Wonderful Time”, in The Book of Extraordinary Amateur Sleuth and Private Eye Stories, edited by Maxim Jakubowski (a new “Hitler, P.I.” story from me!)
I am writing a new book column on sff with Silvia Moreno-Garcia for The Washington Post. Yes, I am as surprised about this as anyone! Here is the first one. These should be out every 6 weeks or so, in both the print and online editions, and in syndication.
2020 is shaping up to be a big one…
I recently signed a new 3-book deal with publishers Head of Zeus in the UK. I also sold a few US books.
My epic By Force Alone will be published in the UK in April and the US in June.
The Escapement will be published towards the later part of the year by Tachyon (US and international).
A lot more about these books soon…
Candy will be making its US debut! More on that later…
My first comic, Adler, with artist Paul McCaffrey, will be out beginning in February, with an omnibus edition by end of year. It’s a 5-issue mini-series. Published US and UK by Titan Comics. Adler #1 can be ordered here.
If all goes well, my poker novella The Big Blind will be published in hardcover by PS Publishing.
And there are plans in place for at least one more book project for 2020 in the works…
Osama has sold to Russia. Candy is due in Romania. Unholy Land sold to France and Poland. More TBA!
Phew. Excuse me while I go lie down for a moment.