“Judge Dee and the Limits of the Law”, the first of my Judge Dee series of tongue-in-cheek vampire mystery stories (published online at tor.com) is nominated for the 2021 Eugie Foster Memorial Award for Short Fiction.
I never met Eugie in person, but we hung out in the same sort of online writer spaces back in the olden days, and she was poised to become a major voice before she died, far too young, in 2014. We shared a table of contents on at least a couple of things. The award was set to commemorate her work, and I’m genuinely touched to be on the list.
- “The Bone-Stag Walks“, KT Bryski (Lightspeed 8/20)
- “The Genetic Alchemist’s Daughter“, Elaine Cuyegkeng (Black Cranes)
- “The Sycamore and the Sybil“, Alix E. Harrow (Uncanny 3-4/20)
- “City of Red Midnight: A Hikayat“, Usman T. Malik (Tor.com 10/21/20)
- “Judge Dee and the Limits of the Law“, Lavie Tidhar (Tor.com 11/11/20)