Delighted to discover today that the Italian edition of Central Station, published by Acheron Books and translated by Davide Mana (and available here), is nominated for the Premio Italia, in the Best International Novel category!
Here is the category shortlist:
- Arthur Machen, The Green Circle , Providence Press
- Cixin Liu, In the fourth dimension , Mondadori
- Ian McDonald, Ares Express , Zone 42
- Lavie Tidhar, Central Station , Acheron Books
- Robert Charles Wilson, Spin , Rocard Publisher
- Walter Jon Williams, Argonautica , Delos Digital
I’m delighted to say I’ve been invited to be this year’s Guest of Honour at Hal-Con, a Japanese convention that will take place in Kawasaki in April. I couldn’t be happier to take part!
My books in Japan include the three Bookman Histories titles, The Violent Century and the recently released A Man Lies Dreaming.
As part of my convention appearance, we should be doing a small short story collection in Japanese as well – more details of that soon.
See you in Japan!
Delighted to discover Unholy Land has been nominated for a Kitschies Award for best novel. The shortlist:
- Circe by Madeline Miller (Bloomsbury)
- Record Of A Spaceborn Few by Becky Chambers (Hodder & Stoughton)
- Rosewater by Tade Thompson (Orbit)
- The Smoke by Simon Ings (Gollancz)
- Unholy Land by Lavie Tidhar (Tachyon Publications)
In addition, Sarah Anne Langton’s cover for Unholy Land has been shortlisted for the BSFA Award for best artwork.
- Ben Baldwin – wraparound cover for ‘Strange Tales’ slipcase set (NewCon Press)
- Joey Hi-Fi – cover for ‘Paris Adrift’ by EJ Swift (Solaris)
- Sarah Anne Langton – cover for ‘Unholy Land’ by Lavie Tidhar (Tachyon Publications)
- Sing Yun Lee and Morris Wild – artwork for ‘Sublime Cognition’ conference (London Science Fiction Research Community)
- Likhain – In the Vanishers’ Palace: Dragon I and II (Inprnt)
- Bede Rogerson – cover for ‘Concrete Faery’ by Elizabeth Priest (Luna Press)
- Del Samatar – artwork for ‘Monster Portraits’ by Sofia and Del Samatar (Rose Metal Press)
- Charlotte Stroomer – cover for ‘Rosewater’ by Tade Thompson (Orbit)
My latest short story, Dem Bones, is out now in Strange Horizons!
It is superbly illustrated by Grace Fong.
From the second-floor window of the abandoned building, Ezra could see something he thought impossible. Behind the wall of the derelict structure that was once a textile factory, a sort of wild garden had sprouted. Ezra could see tomato bushes and dandelions, bluebells and blackberry bushes leaning to against the muddy pools that collected on the ground. And there, in a sort of enclosure of rusted barbed wire and crude sharpened sticks nailed to the ground, the impossible: a wild apple tree, sprouting with fruit.
The annual Locus Recommended Reading List is out now, and I’m pleased to find Unholy Land on it, as well as my short story “The Buried Giant”. In addition, it includes five anthologies I’m in.
Novels – Science Fiction
Anthologies – Original
Anthologies – Reprints/Bests
The brand-new Japanese edition of A Man Lies Dreaming is out this month from Takeshobo. My previous books in Japan include the three Bookman Histories books and The Violent Century, so it’s lovely to be back again! It can be ordered from Amazon.jp. Here is the rather disturbing cover…
One of my favourite novels, The Violent Century, came out from Hodder & Stoughton in the UK in 2013 (and is currently on a very special £0.99 Kindle promotion in the UK!). It is now being published for the first time in paperback (and with reasonable e-book prices to match!) in the US, by Tachyon. The book comes with a new introduction from the great Cory Doctorow, and will be out in July!
And here for the first time is the new cover, by Sarah Anne Langton!