I’m delighted to say that Camera Obscura is nominated for the Sidewise Award for alternate history, in the long-form category.
I have to admit, the Sidewise is one of my favourite awards, as I love alternative histories – I never expected to be nominated for it though! This is the second award nomination for Camera Obscura, following the Airship Award nomination last year. And, interestingly, my fifth award nomination this year (following the Kitschies, BSFA, BFS and Campbell nominations). A bit of naches, to use the Yiddish term…
Here’s the full press release with nominees:
We are pleased to announce this year’s nominees for the Sidewise Award
for Alternate History. The winners will be announced at Chicon 7,
this year’s Worldcon, in Chicago, Illinois during the weekend of
August 30. The Sidewise Awards have been presented annually since
1995 to recognize excellence in alternate historical fiction. This
year’s panel of judges was made up of Stephen Baxter, Evelyn Leeper,
Jim Rittenhouse, Stu Shiffman, Kurt Sidaway, and Steven H Silver.
Congratulations and best of luck.
* Michael F. Flynn, The Iron Shirts (Tor.com)
* Lisa Goldstein, Paradise Is a Walled Garden (Asimov’s, 8/11)
* Jason Stoddard, Orion Rising (Panverse 3, edited by Dario Ciriello,
* Harry Turtledove, Lee at the Alamo (Tor.com)
* Robert Conroy, Castro’s Bomb (Kindle)
* Robert Conroy, Himmler’s War (Baen Books)
* Jeff Greenfield, Then Everything Changed (Putnam)
* Ian R MacLeod, Wake Up and Dream (PS Publishing)
* Ian McDonald, Planesrunner (Pyr)
* Ekaterina Sedia, Heart of Iron (Prime)
* Lavie Tidhar, Camera Obscura (Angry Robot)
The Sidewise Awards for Alternate History were conceived in late 1995
to honor the best allohistorical genre publications of the year. The
first awards were announced in summer 1996 and honored works from
1995. The award takes its name from Murray Leinster’s 1934 short story
“Sidewise in Time,” in which a strange storm causes portions of Earth
to swap places with their analogs from other timelines.
For more information, contact Steven H Silver at firstname.lastname@example.org
or go to http://www.uchronia.net/sidewise.